Berbuka Puasa @ Rebung Restaurant Bangsar

Posted by Kuyat Nangka on 9:33 PM with 1 comment
During the month of Ramadhan, most local malay delicacies will be sold at bazaar ramadhan, hotel and restaurant. In this time, most people are eager to eat ask much as they want what we called in Malaysia as “melantak puas puas”. Most fast food outlet, hotel and restaurant usually fully book during this time. If you feel like to eat in hotel or restaurant, sometime you need to make reservation a week before you want to dine there.
This year, me and my wife went outing with her department colleague for “berbuka puasa” aka breaking fast at Rebung @ Bangsar. It not only for berbuka puasa for her muslims friends, it also cum a farewell dinner for the Hilton OnQ team members which will depart to Japan the next day for implementing the new Hilton systems replacing the old Fidelio Systems which is out of phase.
The background of Rebung Restaurant, it’s owned by Chef Ismail which is Malaysian celebrity chef. It served variety of malay cuisine which will sastify most of the patrons from chicken curry, mutton curry, ikan masak lemak cili api and etc. I can’t remember all the menu but from what I see, it’s a lot. There’s a lot of people went there that nite as expected. Once the azan from the mosque nearby can be heard, everybody starts to eat and attack the buffet line. Some people will take a big portion with few plates on hand as if there was no tomorrow and think they can eat like a hungry horse. But the good thing about this restaurant, they always replenish the dishes when finish.



Although the restaurant was busy with patrons, the chef also turun padang (came to monitor and help) to oversee the restaurant operation. I told my wife, “Maybe I will take photo with the chef itself later and post it on my facebook and blogs”. When I was lining up on the buffet line, I stumble with Chef Ismail himself and I just ask him, “Chef, later can I took photo with you to be posted on my blog and facebook.” He smile and says, “Why not, it’s my pleasure. Just tell me when you want to take picture with me. Enjoy your dinner first. Once you are ready, just ask again from me.”

I was quite happy that he willing to take a photo with me although he don’t ever knew me. First impression does make an impact on a person. I thought most celebrity will not entertain those people who want take a picture with them. But this goes the way round for Chef Ismail. So, I took picture with him and also a picture of him with my wife. He don’t want us to pose like normal but with an action. Just see the photo and you will know.


Chef Ismail and me.

Chef Ismail entertain us by singing traditional malay song.

Once we had finished our dinner, Chef Ismail ask us to stay a bit longer as he want to entertain us by singing karaoke for his favourite traditional songs. What a surprise, the chef do sings very well. We were really entertain by him and fellow friends which singing on the stage provided. Finally, we have a group photo with the Hilton group with Chef Ismail.

Group photo

Maps and Location

View Food Hunter in a larger map
Categories: ,