Bunga Raja aka Queens of the Nights

Posted by Kuyat Nangka on 7:56 PM with 6 comments
Have you ever heard a flower called Bunga Raja aka Queens of the Nights? I’m pretty sure some of you might be wondering how the flower look like. The remarkable thing about these flowers are that the flowers blooms only during the night, and remains for one night for few hours. Their fragrance is subtle yet strong and another unique feature about this plant is that the buds originate from the edge of the leaves. I’m not aware that my mum’s planted this flower at home until I was back in my hometown for Christmas last year. According to my mum, to have this flower and blooms in the olden days in my kampongs can consider as a blessing. There will be a gathering amongst the kampong people at the owner place and they will have makan makan till the flowers are full bloom. This was the olden days where I found that some of my people cultures are fade through time. Here I post some of the bunga raja pics. Beside white color, there is a pink colour bunga raja which according to my mum had bloom in the month of November. Hope during my big day i can see both white and pink bunga raja blooming.

The flower bud which yet to blooms.

The Bunga Raja full blooms.
 The bunga raja front view. Such a beauty.
Categories: ,